Archive For "Unearthed"

Unearthed Update: Enemy Placement Complete

Here’s another big Unearthed update for all you folks. All the enemies in the game have now been placed on the world map! I’ve put together a little video to show off some of my favourite enemies and locales.

Many thanks go out the the SM.net community for helping out with the sprites, and to DalisClock for the rockin’ music!

Now that I have placed all the enemies on the map, the world seems much more alive. The next thing I’ll be working on is utility and environmental sprites, such as signs, fences, and plants. I’ll keep you all posted!

Unearthed Update: Tomorrow Mike Problems

I’m off to Yellowknife on a work trip next week, but before I left, I thought I’d drop a quick Unearthed Update onto the blog. Nothing major: just a recap of some tribulations I’ve run into during this phase of development.

As you know, I’ve been working diligently to place all of Unearthed’s enemies onto the world map. This process has been going fairly smoothly, and I’m getting better at it as I learn how to troubleshoot overworld sprites and balance enemy groups. However, I’m starting to run into issues that I will simply refer to as Tomorrow Mike Problems. These are small map issues that I either overlooked or simply decided not to worry about when putting the game’s world together. These can manifest themselves in a variety of ways, including wall swimming.

tomorrowmike1And the ever popular activity known as off-center ladder shimmying.

tomorrowmike2

Unfortunately, Tomorrow Mike Problems are now Today Mike Problems so I guess I’ll be spending a bit of time fixing up  tile properties and other map issues. I’m still keeping a pretty good pace though, and I imagine I’ll have the overworld enemy placement done by mid-summer.

I’ll have another update in late May, once I return from my sojourn to the northern reaches of Canada.

Unearthed Update: Enemy Placement Underway

I have finally finished all the arduous data entry for enemy groupings in Unearthed! As you saw in my last update, the work I was doing equated to plugging numbers into spreadsheets. It wasn’t a whole lot of fun, but was a necessary technical hurdle to overcome.

But now with all those lovely numbers in place, I can start doing fun things. Like populating different areas of the game with finished enemies, such as the dust bunnies seen below!

screentest1

Over the next little while I’ll be placing enemies, troubleshooting sprites, and doing some bug testing of the game’s maps. Even though I finished the game world years ago, there are still a few lingering bugs that I should vanquish before moving onto the next stages of development.

As always, I’ll keep you all posted when new developments come down the pipes.